First, a big thank you to everyone who uploaded photos over the weekend. We’ve had our strongest four days ever, with thousands of photos uploaded every day.
Second, an equally big thank you to our expertly efficient transcribers, who seem to keep up just fine with the increase in uploads.
Third, a thank you and congratulations to our first t-shirt winners, DSWillett, Gableboy, and Mitchowl. All three of them have crossed the 1,000-photo threshold and have earned their BillionGraves t-shirt for the August promotion. (They’re also sitting quite comfortably at the top of the Leaderboard.) Awesome job, you three. I’m amazed at what you were able to do in only eight days.
Now that we’ve taken a moment to acknowledge everyone who keeps new information pouring in to BillionGraves, we have a chance to talk about the update for the iPhone app.
Version 1.2 has several enhancements, but there are a few you’ll notice more than the others:
- Faster photo taking
- Ability to add a cemetery using an address (in case you can’t get to the cemetery and add it using your current location)
- The dashboard displays your transcription count along with your other counts
- A link to the User Guide from the Settings view (in case you have any questions while you’re using the app)
The last, most drastic improvement to the app is the optional feature expansion available for a $2.99 in-app purchase (if you’re updating to version 1.2 from an earlier version you get the expansion automatically). This expansion bundle is called Records View. I’ve mentioned it before, but in case you missed the explanation, Records View unlocks three main options:
- Search records that have already been transcribed from within the app (searching on the website is still, of course, free).
- View a list of transcribed records whose GPS tags are near your current location.
- View an already transcribed photo on the map along with your current location (this makes it easy to navigate to a headstone in an unfamiliar cemetery).
Records View allows you to access and utilize the information, photos, and records on the BillionGraves database in new and useful ways. I hope all of you who unlocked it automatically by updating enjoy the new feature bundle, and that those of you who are new to BillionGraves will consider adding this tool to your research toolbox.